Saturday, April 30, 2011

Empurau/Kelah/Mahseer

Ellozz! Sorry for being out for whole month, been slacking too much , actually i wanted to post this quite sometimes but doesnt wanna do so till i have enough information =) . Oh ya ! just a reminder to readers from other countries , what I am writing is from my experience in my own country , i've never travel to any country b4 to visit their agriculture/aquaculture or whatever farms n living things.. haha
So forgive me if what I am writing here is not helpful or informative enough to you ! =)
Alright , Lets Roll !
There are a lot of types of Kelah, ( Kelah referring to Mahseer ) the one which is famous in Malaysia as Empurau in Sabah N Sarawak is known as Kelah Merah in Semenanjung Malaysia, there are also other Kelah which is available in the market such as kelah biru n kelah hijau, these kelah are believe to be from our neighbouring country Thailand.
Even for the Kelah Merah itself have 2 types, that is Kelah Merah n one more is called Kelah Merah Bara. Let me show u guys the pictures.

 The one on the left is Kelah Merah Bara ( Fiery Red Mahseer) n one the right is Kelah Merah ( Red Mahseer). Forgive me for any mistakes, own translation.. hahaha =p

Fiery Red Mahseer





 See the differences? If you dont, go visit and local fish store or restaurants you will see the price differences =). 1Kg of frozen Kelah Merah goes for around RM200 in the restaurants and for live one i heard can goes up to Rm1600 perKg depending on the size of the fish, the bigger it is the higher price it can fetch =).
I've never tried one b4 but if anyone wanna share with me , CALL ME !
There are a lot of Kelah sanctuary now in Malaysia and one of the nearest to my place is Chilling Waterfalls in Kuala Kubu Bharu, Selangor .
A lot of people started to rear this high-priced fish for commercial purpose, therefore its not that hard to find it in restaurant, one of the reason it is so high price maybe due to the time needed to grow this fish to 1kg, it takes about 3 yrs to reach 1 kg, Imagine the feeding cost.... and to catch this fishes you'll need to go deep inside the jungle with rocky waterfall n streams , this fish is extremely chooosy too, but from what I heard n see it worth the price =) . Have a try, I wish to share more bout sorry I just feel bad just taking videos n photos from other peoples... my mum just got herself a digicam from her company lucky draw so I will utilise it for all of us ok ! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment